PAGES

Traveling with the Babe

Tuesday, April 9, 2013
It's starting to get warmer out (finally) and we couldn't be more excited! During what seemed like the longest winter in existence,  Parker Doodle and I have been fighting the cold weather blues and have been snagging up a some of the most perfect swimsuits. I am beyond amped that she will be able to get some use out of them in a few weeks! We are taking our first real trip with the babe to Florida at the end of April to visit with Matt's parents whom we miss so much (FaceTime just won't cut it anymore).


They sent us Parker's first Easter basket and needless to say, it was a huge hit!



I am dying to get her in her shorts and sundresses and see her initial reaction to the ocean! The only part that I'm dreading? Traveling with baby. How do I even pull that off with the car seat, stroller,  security checks, dealing with pressure during take off and landing, the list goes on and on. I can't begin to wrap my head around it. I've been reading up on countless articles and have all but mastered the technique of changing her on my lap, however if there are some magic tips you'd like to pass along that saved your sanity while traveling baby in tow in the past, I would be beyond grateful! Here's to hopefully, an easy breezy trip. x


2 comments:

  1. While I have never traveled with a little one of my own, I did fly around 500 passengers per week for two years. Most flights had infants or "lap children" as they are called in the biz. So I guess those count as in tow for me. Here are my tips:

    1) Pressurization - This isn't as big a deal as you might think to young children. Our bodies regulate the external pressure enacted on us regularly as the atmospheric pressure changes. The only thing that hinders this is mucus caused by colds, allergies, etc. So make sure baby Parker is healthy before the trip and she should be fine.
    *Side note - the type of airplane has a lot to do with what pressurization changes you feel. For instance, those little "puddle jumpers" that have propellers on them - don't get high enough that your body will feel a pressure change. Their pressurization systems keep the cabin at ground-level pressure. Also, Boeing 737's are notoriously rough on the ears, avoid them if possible.

    2) Optimal diaper changing time with baby in lap - Watch the seatbelt sign. Pilots can predict turbulance by watching what is happening outside (clouds). If you are above 10,000 feet (usually happens in the first 10 minutes of flight) and the seatbelt sign is still on, you run the risk of having airborn lulu doodoo should you decide to open up the diaper. If the seatbelt sign is off, it means smooth sailing and smooth wiping.

    Hope this helps and enjoy your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goshhhh this is amazing! Why didn't I think of asking my flight expert of a brother! Thank you for the tips and knowledge - deff won't be any airbon lulu doodoo hahah. Sometimes when I fly my skull feels like it's cracking open and it brings me to tears - have you ever expereienced that before? Also common with a Boeing 737?

      Delete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design